Looking for some best IOT Projects?? If yes, then you are absolutely at the right place. Here, we will be helping you out with these projects through this blog. Here, we will be sharing each and every aspect of these IOT Projects. Obviously, before putting our hands into any technology, we must make sure that we are having at least some basic knowledge of that technology.
I think it’s the correct time to get started with the IOT Projects. Below are the best 5 IOT projects discussed for the self-learning process of the beginners!!
1. IOT based Air Pollution Monitoring System (using Arduino)
In this IOT project, you will get to know how to make Air Pollution Monitoring System using IOT with the help of Arduino. This model is used to measure air quality using internet making an alarm to trigger when the quality of air (to be measured in PPM) goes below the certain level. It will measure the amount of some harmful gases such as methane, carbon dioxide (CO2), smoke, benzene and alcohol and NH3. So, let’s just start this project by knowing more about it!!
- Arduino UNO
- LCD Display (16X2)
- Wi-Fi Module ESP8266 (works on 3.3V)
- 10K Potentiometer
- MQ135 Gas Sensor
- 1K ohm Resistor, and
- 220 ohm Resistor
Circuit Diagram and Explanation
The first connection should be made between the Wi-Fi module and Arduino. Make sure you provided proper voltage to the Wi-Fi module otherwise it will work abnormally. Now, connect the Vcc and CH_PD to the Arduino pin of 3.3V. After this, you have to connect TX pin and RX pin of ESP8266 to the pin 10 and pin 9 of Arduino respectively through resistors.
After all the above connections, it’s the time to connect MQ135 sensor with the Arduino. Connect Vcc and ground pin of the MQ135 sensor to the 5V, and the ground and Analog pin of the sensor to A0 of Arduino.
In the end, connect LCD to Arduino. Rest of the LCD connections to be made are:
Pin 1 (VEE) is connected to ground. Pin 2 (VDD or VCC) is connected to the 5V supply. Pin 2 (V0) is connected to the 10K Potentiometer (middle pin) and the remaining two ends of the potentiometer are connected to the Ground and VCC. Pin 4 (RS) is connected to the 12th pin of the Arduino. Pin 5 (R/W) is connected to the ground of the Arduino. Pin 6 (E) is connected to the 11th pin of the Arduino. Data pins connection to Arduino are as follows: Pin 11 (D4) to Pin 5 Pin 12 (D5) to pin 4 Pin 13 (D6) to pin 3 Pin 14 (D7) to pin 2 Pin 15 is connected to Vcc through resistor of 220 ohm. And pin 16 is connected to the Ground.
After all the above connections are made properly, the MQ135 sensor comes into play and starts sensing the gases with the help of Arduino. This sensor provides the output of gas amount in voltage levels which is to be converted in PPM. For this conversion, we have a predefined library.
The value of the sensor is 90 when there is no gas. Note that 350 PPM is the safe air quality level and should not rise above the level of 1000 PPM making the buzzer beep and causing various problems such as headaches and sleepiness.
2. IOT based Smart Home Security System
Because of the increasing number of crimes, smart cameras are actively coming into play. Here I will be discussing how a security camera can be made using IOT approach. For this project, we will be needing both – software as well as the hardware devices. The list of the devices is as follows:
- Raspberry Pi board – Raspberry pi is responsible for operating and controlling motion detectors. It is a tiny computer that can be used in surveillance systems, some military operations, etc. It operates in the voltage range of 4V to 5V with the operating frequency of 700MHz.
- Raspberry Pi camera – This board consists of a 5 Mega pixel sensor. This sensor is same as that of black PCB and an IR filter removed. It is capable of sensing near-IR wavelength of 700 – 1000 NM as that of a security camera.
- Pir sensor – Pir in Pir sensor stands for passive infrared sensor capable of sensing the object radiated IR light in its range. It is responsible for sensing the change in the amount of IRs, i.e., Infrared Radiations.
- Ew-7711uan – It acts as a Wi-Fi for an IOT system. It is a wireless adapter having high gain making the process wireless connectivity simpler and easier.
- Raspbian OS – An OS is nothing but a set of programs or utilities that make the system run and Raspbian OS is also a Debian based Operating System designed to act for Raspberry Pi hardware.
- Putty – Putty is an application specifically designed for transferring files over a network. It connects serially and supports various network protocols such as SCP, SSH.
- Mit app invertor – It is an open source web application. Mit app invertor is provided by the Google. It allows the creation of software applications for the android OS.
After we are done with all the components, we need to make a proper connection in order to complete our project of IOT based smart home security system.
The first connection should be made between Raspberry Pi camera and Ew-7711uan module. The red color light in the camera indicates the camera streaming. Now open the Putty software (to be connected with the module) and check for live streaming on the system’s window and now as the network has established, you can access the live streaming process from your own mobile application.
3. IOT based Smart Irrigation System
This IOT Project is designed to automatically detect the moisture of the soil using soil moisture sensor.
Prerequisites for this project are as follows:
- Sensors – Soil Moisture Sensor (with Screw Terminals), PH Sensor, DHT11 Sensor, Pressure Sensor and PIR Sensor.
- Arduino UNO
- Wi-Fi Module
- GSM Module
- Arduino IDE
Explanation: This project is specifically designed so as to measure the moisture content of the soil. All the above requisites perform different functions in this project. Let us know some major points about them.
- Arduino UNO – It is a microcontroller board having flash memory of 32kb used for storing the code and is programmed with the software of the Arduino.
- Sensors – All the sensors perform their desired functions such as Soil Moisture Sensor measure moisture content, PH sensor measures acidity and alkalinity of the water solution, DHT11 Sensor is designed for measuring temperature and humidity, Pressure Sensor measures differential pressure whereas PIR sensor detects the motion of the Infrared Radiations.
- Wi-Fi Module – The Wi-Fi Module ESP8266 is a System on Chip (SOC) self-contained integrated TCP/IP providing the microcontroller access to the desired Wi-Fi network.
- GSM Module – It is the module describing protocols for second generation (2G) network systems.
Basically, the main aim behind this project is to make more efficient and user-friendly system to help farmers at different levels.
4. ESP8266 (Microcontroller Chip) Wireless Web Server
This IOT project also involves Arduino and makes use of ESP8266, a microcontroller Wi-Fi module with TCP/IP protocol, is a low-cost reliable chip containing low-power CPU (inbuilt) of 32-bits best for making home automation projects. Moreover, it also consists of AT Command firmware, that too built-in, with the MCU.
For this project, we are using ESP8266 of NodeMCU Kit because of its advantage of in-built programmed codes. So, you need not write and learn the entire code and it also makes the project more indented.
Required Project Parts:
ESP8266 module is a 16 pin chip in which Pin 1 is the Reset pin connected to 3.3V supply through a resistor R5 and a button (S2) is also provided there for Reset purpose. Connect Pin 12 (programming mode) again to 3.3v supply through resistor R3 and connect the Pin 3 to 3.3V through resistor R8.
LED 1 is being connected to Pin 11 and also connect the Pin 6 to 3.3V supply through resistor R4. And finally, for the output we have used ESP8266 module (Sunrom model no. 4255) but you can choose the one of your own preference.
See the below diagrams for connections.
5.IOT based Smart Clock Using Arduino
This project is very popular nowadays as it is very simple and useful at the same time. This alarm clock is internet-activated thus need not to be updated daily but operated through your email ID. And because of this feature and usage of Arduino Yun, it was named as SMART clock.
Arduino Yun is nothing but a microcontroller board which is based on AR9331 and ATmega32u4. The noticeable feature of Arduino Yun is that it has built-in Wi-Fi and Ethernet, a port (USB-A) and a micro-SD card slot. Here, the SMART alarm clock makes use of the Temboo software enabling the alarm clock to configure the Google calendar and your email services.
For this IOT project, you just need to connect the TFT Touch Shield with the Arduino Yun and after that a USB speaker is to be attached in Arduino’s USB port. A SD card is needed to be inserted in Arduino Yun and charge it with the help of the USB cable (micro).
In this project, the tricky part comes when we talk of the software configuration. For this, create an account on Temboo (responsible for integrating APIs like PayPal, Google and Twitter) for the software codes to be used in the code file. After account creation, you will get your Temboo details such as Account name, key and Application name. Then all you have to do is to save your Google Calendar profile in Temboo by using your ClientID. By this way, all you have to do is to assemble the hardware and put the code into the code file to get your Smart Alarm ready for any meeting or occasion reminder.
6. IoT established Alarm Clock
A standard clock uses sound for a moderate to wake the consumer. While in the event of the net of items based smart alarm clock. It may operate over a conventional alarm clock will not awaken or remind the consumer of something significant. For example, it may turn to the smart lights or turn off the fan, etc. The prerequisites of the endeavor include an RTC processor, TFT display, Wiwifiodule, etc.
7. IoT According Intelligent Traffic Management System
An innovative traffic management program working with the net of items can reduce the more waiting period for those motorists to crossroad signs. It may consist of several features like parking area investigation and allotment program, anti-theft, and other such.
8. Cosmetic Dentistry Door With Raspberry PI
Facial recognition is just one of the very trending safety methods one uses from the current situation. A decorative recognition door lock program may be utilized to protect against a burglar in a house. Within this undertaking, a picture will be recorded with a Pi camera and pre-processed by Raspberry Pi, such as switching, re-sizing, and cropping. Subsequently, face recognition and detection are done. When the face is recognized from the classifier according to a pre-stored image library, then the picture will be transmitted to some remote console awaiting the home owner’s choice.
9. Smart Street Light
The usage of smart street lighting jobs rather than manual lighting helps save a substantial amount of energy. This is achieved by sensing and coming vehicles employing an IR transmitter and IR receiver bunch. The project prerequisites comprise Arduino IDE, MPLAB IDE, OrCAD, microcontroller, light-dependent resistor (LDR), IR sensor, and others.
10. Smart Garage Door
A wise garage is among the vital requirements of a smart house. These doorways assist from thieves and close its own when it feels that somebody took out the car. Contrary to a guide garage door, even the wise garage door provides a challenging time for the burglars to enter the home. The job offers the consumer a straightforward tracking system that permits them to behave more safely aware, effectively raising their dwelling’s security and safety. The method comprises a transmitting unit at the garage, which monitors the door’s place. A mobile, wireless receiving apparatus from home shows the garage door status.
11. Smart Wheelchairs
Smart wheelchairs not just concentrate on the freedom of the apparatus but also the individual’s health monitoring. This current work aims to create a creative sensing wheelchair by simply implementing detectors within its structures. Using sensors and processing from embedded programs, the smart wheelchair will have the ability to monitor the heartbeat, blood sugar levels, etc., and starts a trigger when it receives some abnormality. The project’s prerequisites comprise Arduino IDE, Node MCU, MQTT library, PPG sensor, and other such.