7 Tools to turn Your Windows Computer Into A WiFi Router
You can turn your PC into a virtual WiFi router in a large number of ways for seamless sharing of internet connection. Thus, if you are on the lookout for the best options amongst the same, then you have come to the right place. Today we will present a comprehensive picture of effective WiFi hotspots so that it becomes easier for you to take the final call.
- Connectify Hotspot – This highly popular software can turn your PC into a WiFi hotspot in no time. The free avatar of this program can also cater to the requirements of many although the paid version is required for benefitting out of its full-fledged features. While users can share internet only through WiFi and Ethernet networks on using the free version, they can also share cellular data in the paid one. Ad-blocking for connected clients and real-time network usage monitoring are two such features which are common to both the paid and free versions. However, in the free version you cannot enjoy firewall controls, ability to choose a custom SSID and wired router mode all of which are characteristic attributes of the paid ‘Pro’ version. There is also another ‘Max’ version costing more and accompanied with greater features such as WiFi repeater mode, bridging mode and custom DHCP controls.
- Mhotspot – This free of cost Windows program can transform your PC into a virtual WiFi router. Users get to share their cellular, LAN, WiFi and Ethernet connections across multiple platforms such as smartphones, laptops. PCs and PDAs. Coupled with such characteristics, mhotspot can surely be branded as a feature-rich software which is officially available on Windows 7,8 and 10. The hotspot created by the mhotspot software can connect up to 10 devices. It can also function as a repeater for extending the WiFi range. Coming to the security division, mhotspot relies on WPA2 PSK password security for securing your WiFi hotspot.
- HostedNetworkStarter – This versatile program can create a WiFi hotspot through your PC’s wireless network adapter for allowing all devices having WiFi support to access both the network and internet connection of your computer. Although it is not compatible with Windows XP and Vista given the lack of support towards WiFi Hosted Network feature, It can work seamlessly on Windows 7 thru 10 in both its 32 and 64-bit versions. One of the best thing about this program is that you can run the same without having to undergo the hassles of the installation process. You just need to download the zip file, unzip it and run the executable file. Command-line parameters can also be availed by power users for enhancing the software’s functionality.
- MaryFi – In comparison to the free version of Connectify, MaryFi packs in more features. This in turn aids it in rendering support to various internet connections such as WiFi, Ethernet, Cellular and many more. A large number and variety of devices can be hooked up with the connections created by MaryFi. This can keep you covered at all times whether you are seeking out WiFi coverage for your music player, tablet, laptop, desktop or gaming console. Password-protected WPA2 Encryption is used by the program running officially on Windows 7,8 and 8.1 for security and privacy.
- Virtual Router Plus – This open source WiFi hotspot program is based on Chris Pietschmann’s Virtual Router project. The program written in C language is available officially for Windows 7, 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. In a way similar to its peer HostedNetworkStarter, the Virtual Router Plus also does not require any difficult installation process. You can run the .exe file after unzipping the compressed file for getting started with the program. It also does not track the user’s web activity or bring along much advertisements. WPA2 encryption is utilised by this program for ensuring security and privacy.
- Ostoto Hotspot – This can serve as the ideal choice if you are seeking out a free WiFi hotspot which can transform your Windows PC into a WiFi access point for catering to multiple devices. In a way, similar to the other free programs mentioned above, this program also does not impose any restriction on the type of internet connection which can be turned into a hotspot while using this utility. Thus, you can turn your LAN, WiFi, Mobile broadband or Ethernet connection into a WiFi hotspot using this program in an easy fashion. This versatile program is compatible with all Windows versions starting from XP such as Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
- MyPublicWiFi – This free of cost software allows users to benefit out of an internet access point in a way similar to the others mentioned above. But it also brings along certain unique attributes which cannot be traced in its peers. Its built-in firewall can be configured for restricting access to specific protocols or websites.
You also get to track and record all the URL pages visited through your virtual WiFi hotspot. In this way, it can serve as an extremely convenient tool for parents who wish to keep a tab on the online content browsed by their children. MyPublicWifi makes use of WPA2 Encryption for security and privacy. You will be able to view the device name, IP addresses and MAC address of connected clients while setting up the network. The versatile program is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and Server 2008 R2.
Although the third-party software mentioned above can easily convert your computer into a WiFi router, you can also do the same either through Windows GUI by clicking a few options or by running a few lines of code through the command prompt.