An acronym that’s becoming a trend that’s changing the way businesses work is MLOps. As businesses grow, so does the number of operations within them. It’s hard enough to keep track of everything that’s going on at a lower level.
, when a business becomes an international or a global one, things get harder. So , we’re going to discuss how MLOps can change the way your business works, what it is, and what are its major benefits.
What Is MLOps?
The MLOps acronym stands for Machine Learning Operations. If you’ve heard of DevOps, the software development and operations method, MLOps are at a higher level because they involve DevOps.
This kind of approach guarantees a higher machine learning and AI solution quality. There are tons of these on the market. We’re going to discuss the benefits of having a solution like this in your business a little later.
How Does MLOps Work?
In an MLOps environment, there’s a bunch of collaboration between three key parties
, the data engineering team , i.e. data scientists, the software development team, and the operations team , i.e. DevOps.
The process has a few steps, but it takes time. Business requirements are drafted and evaluated, the data is prepared, and the model of machine learning is created
, i.e. developed. Then, it’s deployed and monitored.
However, the process doesn’t end with monitoring. Monitoring assures a business that improvements can be made
, and that better machine learning models can be built upon the previous ones. It’s a continuous cycle.
Major Benefits of MLOps
There are significant benefits to implementing MLOps in your business. Apart from the efficiency and the improved possibility for scalability, it offers faster innovation, better management, real data insights, and ease of model reproduction and deployment.
1. Faster Innovation
Because of improved monitoring, better validation systems, and efficient management, the collaboration between teams is also improved. Thanks to better collaboration, the innovation process becomes more reliable and faster.
2. Easier Integration
The MLOps patterns integrate development, machine learning, and operations easily. The combination of the skills between different teams outputs innovative ML models and creates production pipelines that adhere to the business KPIs.
3. Improved Data Insights
There’s a lot of speech online about capitalizing on big data. When we improve on the previous model with the next instance of the model, we gather real data that can deliver insights for the reliable and rapid growth of our business.
4. Ease of Model Reproduction
One major benefit of MLOps implementation is the reduced possibility of model-instance variation. Different data registries are used for resource tracking and execution logs. There’s a consistency in model workflows and reproduction.
5. Ease of Deployment
With MLOps, you can easily deploy the models in any location by adapting them to the settings in said location. Without MLOps, it would be much more difficult to implement the same models in different locations.
6. Reduced Risk
Without the MLOps methodology, the risks of the data being accurate and machine learning models being trustworthy in real-life scenarios can be a bit higher. MLOps reduces that risk and helps avoid your ML models making mistakes.
How to Implement MLOps?
The implementation is fairly easy. However, you need to have an MLOps team comprised of employees that have different levels of skills in varying fields. Data scientists and engineers need to collaborate. Plus, you need to think about DevOps and AI architects. Here’s the implementation:
- MLOps Scope: The team needs to identify the key business issues it’s going to try to solve by AI implementation
. E.g. production process automation to speed up production and product release.
- MLOps Data: Processing, cleaning, and organizing the data where data scientists and engineers collaborate to provide a logical data structure to use to create a model in the upcoming stage.
- MLOps Modeling: We use the data to train the models and test them until they are refined for use. All key team members are involved in this machine learning operations process.
- MLOps Deployment: Finally, the machine learning models are deployed into production to improve business processes and fulfill the defined scope at the beginning of the process.
Every machine learning operations tool should have some basic features for management, checkpoint formation, tuning, workflow structuring, deployment, and monitoring. For MLOps, you’ll need to look at tools that can accommodate:
- Metadata storage and management: The tool should have the possibility to store metadata and the features that allow management of said metadata.
- Pipeline checkpoint creation: When the project pipeline is created, your team should have the possibility to create checkpoints along the way
,so that they may return if need be.
- Hyperparameter tuning: This involves defining the maximum decision tree depth, number of samples at leaf nodes, trees in the random forest, neurons in the network, layers, and learning rate.
- Pipeline workflow orchestration: The ability to orchestrate the workflow of a pipeline is extremely important, and this is one of the key features you should look for in your MLOps tool.
- Model deployment: The ease of deployability of ML models should be accommodated by your MLOps tool.
- Model in production monitoring: Retesting, review, and reevaluation, the three principal Rs are key components in monitoring the ML models that are already in production.
To truly understand how MLOps is changing the way businesses work, we need to implement it into our strategy and experience the results. There are many benefits, and a major one is faster innovation Don’t miss out on that opportunity for your business.
You can omit this word and still keep the context.