The use software has wide spread throughout the world in
short time. Our day-to-day activities now depend upon the use of
software-intensive goods and invention in both domestic and industrial domains.
Most recently, the company has shown the potential to implement
new features with post-haste to meet the industry’s need. The software features
are in line with ever evolving innovation meeting the completive environment of
For this reason, speed and time are the important
ingredients for software development industry to market the end products before
The software industry seem to greatly follow the “The early bird catches the worm” and
that’s why the swift delivery and the promotion of the new features at their
earliest provides business with new opportunities to grow, obtain quick
feedback from customers and design the next new feature accordingly to the
With all this, questions of security in software have also
been raised. Many software companies still don’t possess protective measures in
place to fight cyber-attacks. Ergo, they are faced with security threats and
data breaches like loss of data, data theft which directly impact customers’
loyalty and revenue.
DevOps is a practice that is known to provide useful patterns that contains principles that are useful in the software development phase. DevOps has played the important role to answer to customer needs without sacrificing the productivity.
As the new age demands the companies to deliver more secure
software, let’s take a look at what is included in implementation of the DevOps
Execution of the DevSecOps Process
DevOps contributes to promote team work, fast delivery and
deployment process, automating testing against the completed application while
testing the user interface (UI), API and backend. Eliminating or highlighting
the loop holes. Monitor production environment for any malicious cyber
Implementation of DevOps
best practices in an organization gives birth to a
team of engineers working together. The team comprises of coding experts
-developers, testers and cyber security engineers promising the collaborative,
productive and secure environment and smooth workflow.
This DevOps constructs several steps that are executed in
the continuous loop to obtain the desired product. Let’s dive deeper into the
DevOps process flow:
- Planning: DevOps ask for a collaborative environment to plan out the customers’ requirements carefully and map out each function or non-functional requirement, development and testing criteria, design and security plan.
- Agile Coding: Management of code, selection of source code development tools are all part of DevOps process promising short development cycle.
- Continuous Integration: Regular merging of codes is the key to continuous integration. This ensures that the developers always have the latest code. Use of version control plays an important part in preserving the original code in DevOps, simulatnously allowing different coders to code. CI avoids expensive development loopholes, allowing many developers to work reliably on the same source code make this practice crucial stage of DevOp workflow.
- Continuous Deployment pipelines: This automated process releases the approved changes to users. This makes the deployment pipelines easy target to external threats. Proper security measures should be implemented to withstand external and internal threats.
- Ceaseless testing in each phase: In DevOps, every process is automated. Similarly,to ensure your development cycle is not hindered by any malicious hurdle, DevOps offers strong security ground with robust and automated testing by testing both back and front-end, databases and API.
Moreover, make the automated tools used for
testing should actively identify the potential threats, poor code and
infrastructure. Infusing the security in the each development phase ensure
source code safety and secure application not accessible to the unauthorized
- Continuous delivery: this ensures the development of software change in short time. The process is automated thus any change in the code is automatically compiled, tested vigorously and then sent into the production. This primarily helps the customer to get the updated release in time.
- Monitoring: Monitoring of issues and customers’ feedback are crucial part for the complete development cycle. Monitoring tools are used to quickly escalate the problems in the deployment and production environment.
Benefits of Incorporating DevOps for Secure Software Development
Here are a few benefits reported and noted by incorporating
DevOps for secure development process and DevOps
- Better quality of system: Customer is provided with the system of better and improved quality. DevOps ensures the quality of the system using its automated testing help early identification of bugs at different steps of software development
- Early Detection of Security defects and threats: As continuous testing iscarriedout, it becomes easy to detect security defect and threats in the software. End-users are provided with software that has gone through testing on each development stage.
- Promoting teamwork and collaboration between developers and operations. The main DevOps approach is to combine the development and operations by promoting communication between the two. Improve the production environment. This is the key to develop the system in less time, more release, bug-free and better customer feedback.
It is without a doubt that DevOps meets all the challenges and capricious demands of the security of software in the Information technology world. Introducing DevOp practices in the earlier stages of software development helps mitigate security threats.
With modern technologies, threats are increasing and
modifying its mechanism to harm systems. In this time of need, DevOps and
security should work as a fight force to secure your business and revenue.