Having your own online business means you will probably have to set up an eCommerce site that will allow your customers to enjoy online shopping from the comfort of their homes.
Setting up your own online store can be challenging, so we have compiled a step-by-step guide to help you create an online store for your products. If you are new to eCommerce web design, this guide is for you.
Step-by-Step Guide To Building Your Ecommerce Website
Building an online store for your eCommerce business is easier than you would think.
1. Find the Perfect Platform
Many online store builders are available, and finding the right eCommerce platform is the first step toward a successful online business.
There are three types of eCommerce platforms:
- Open source: It is free to install and use, and can be customised to suit your needs.
- SaaS: Software as a Service is a subscription service that offers security and can handle checkout and payment methods on your behalf.
- Headless commerce: Business owners have a lot of control over the website builder, and can quickly set up a business and start selling online.
2. Decide on a Domain Name
You need to decide on and purchase a domain name that is unique to your website. Think about what you want to sell online, and base the domain name on your products to make it easier to find your site.
3. Find a Developer
Once you have your online store builder and domain name, it is time to find a developer. Developers make it easier to set up your eCommerce website. You should ask for their portfolio to see other online stores they have built.
4. Find a Template
Templates are pages that have already been built, which you can change to suit your own business and style. Templates, or themes, can be used to make a website look good without using any coding skills.
When picking a theme or template, consider the following:
- Is it easy for customers to navigate?
- Does the landing page reflect my business brand?
- Can the template be customised?
5. Upload Your Products
The pages that contain your products are the most important aspects of your eCommerce website. You should take proper care to ensure that your products are displayed in the best way possible and that customers can easily find what they are looking for.
Provide a product category section so that customers can search for your products. Include product descriptions and beautiful pictures of exactly what you are offering.
6. Determine and Set Up Payment Methods
There are different payment methods available. Finding a suitable payment method is essential as you do not want to cause your customers any hassle when trying to check out.
Three gateways are used in eCommerce that you can consider:
- Redirecting off-site will take the customer to a separate page to complete the payment. One popular example is PayPal. It is a secure checkout process but adds an additional step to the customer’s experience.
- Checkout on-site but pay off-site. Your eCommerce website collects all the payment information, but the payment processing occurs off-site. Your website has to be encrypted for secure payments.
- Pay on-site. This makes the payment process your responsibility, and the entire payment process occurs on your website.
Shipping is key to any successful eCommerce store. You will have to determine your shipping costs and include this in your shipping policy.
Consider whether you want to offer free shipping for certain products, and if you are doing international shipping.
You should also decide whether you want to pack the products yourself and send them off to a courier company or opt for drop shipping instead.
8. Publish your eCommerce website
You need to thoroughly review every aspect of your website before publishing the site. Check it on computers, tablets and mobile phones, and fix any noticeable mistakes. Also, test the checkout process and product pages.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does checkout work as it should?
- Does my website load on mobile devices?
- Are all the buttons on the website working?
- Does the website work on different browsers?
Building an eCommerce website is easy if you follow the steps above. The most crucial first step is to find a good and reputable eCommerce website builder which will provide your customers with a user-friendly experience and give you a successful online store.