What is digital marketing or online marketing?
I’m sure the denomination’s digital marketing or online marketing is familiar. But are you clear on what digital marketing is and how it differs from traditional marketing? We’ll tell you in this post!
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is a broad concept in the media and Internet field: webs and blogs, social networks, video platforms, forums, etc.
This phenomenon has been applied since the years 90 as a way to move the techniques offline to the digital universe.
In parallel with the significant development and evolution of digital technology, online marketing has been experiencing, in a progressive and swift, profound changes in both the techniques and tools used and the possibilities it offers to Receptors.
Let’s see how! From Web 1.0 to Web 2.0
In its beginnings, the online marketing was based on the Web pages 1.0, and it was to be a translation of the publicity of the traditional media (television, radios, media on paper…) to the Gilts Web pages, which did not allow a bidirectional in the Communication with the users. The advertisers were controlling the message and were merely putting it in the audience.
Besides, the advertising of the Web Stage 1.0 was limited, in most cases, to reproduce a showcase of products or services in the form of an online catalog. Nevertheless, this type of publicity already pointed exciting virtues, like the potentially universal scope, the possibility of updating the contents and the combination of texts, images and, little by little, also of the multimedia format.
But in a few years, the revolution came. A frenetic technological development allowed the massive introduction of a higher level Internet. The Web 2.0 was born and, with it, the Marketing 2.0 (as also known as digital or online marketing). And often change!
From that moment on, it is possible to share information quickly thanks to social networks, allowing the almost instantaneous exchange of pieces that previously were impossible, like photos and video.
The Internet happens to be much more than a means of searching for information, and it becomes a great community. The network is now only understood as a means of exchanging information in two directions. The feedback is, therefore, total and fundamental between brands and users, with the pros and cons that this brings.
Digital Marketing Tools
Digital marketing puts at our disposal a series of tools of great diversity from which can be realized from small actions to practically zero cost to complex strategies (and more expensive) in which can be combined Infinity of technology and resources.
- Web or blog: Without a doubt, a Web or a blog are two of the primary tools from which to centralize a digital marketing campaign or inbound marketing (strategy to attract users and convert them into customers by generating value content and not Intrusive). However, the use of a Web or blog as a central axis does not imply exclusivity, but quite the opposite. It is possible to use, in a complementary or parallel way, microsites, social networks, video platforms or forums to provide further visibility to our campaigns. Once you have clear if you want a website, a blog or both, keep in mind that you have to make other decisions. For example, what domain you use or where you will host your page. The latest trend in the world is to come up with Android and ios applications.
- Seekers: Search engines are tools that allow Internet users to find content related to what they are looking for. To be able to position, with success, a page or blog in the first positions of the search engines, it is essential to carry out actions of organic positioning (SEO) or payment (SEM) in your online marketing strategy.
- Advertising display: It is the most popular and traditional digital marketing tool. It can be considered the digital media billboard. They are ads (banners) of different sizes and formats (texts, images, graphics, videos…) that occupy a space on the Internet sites attractively and strikingly.
- Email Marketing: This heiress of the classic mailing is, possibly, the most veteran but still useful tool for having been able to adapt to the changes and its ability to work in combination with other strategies, such as the monitoring and the maturing of clients. Email marketing can be made from databases own or foreign, from which messages are generated in the form of newsletters, bulletins, catalogues, etc.
- Social networks: These digital tools have not stopped growing and gain popularity since the advent of digital marketing. They have also been able to adapt perfectly to the changes and flows of consumers. The social networks are entirely sufficient for the dissemination of content, as well as for the creation of a community of branding, branding and even customer service.
The advantages of digital marketing or online marketing
Digital marketing is an essential strategy for brands because of the excellent opportunity for growth, positioning and diffusion they represent.
Potential customers, or at least their vast majority, are always connected to the Internet from the computer and in hand Mobile Devices.